What Size Underfloor Heating Mat do I Need?
Before buying any underfloor heating mats, it's important you know the size of the area that needs covering. Whether you are going to be measuring for your living room, kitchen or bathroom, there are various factors that should be taken into account.
To measure the area correctly you should follow the examples below, this will give you a good indication of what size heating mats you require.
How to measure for an underfloor heating mat for your kitchen
To install an underfloor heating mat in your kitchen, the example below should hopefully help you measure the room correctly:
- Measure the length and width of your kitchen. An example would be length 3.5m and width would be 3.5m.
- Then multiply your measurements to give you the total area. Following from the above example, 3.5 x 3.5 = 12.25m2
- To ensure the underfloor heating mat fits correctly and that you are only going to heat the area you require, you will now need to remove the total area of any kitchen units or other items which would be on top of the underfloor heating mat. Continuing with the example above, a kitchen unit could be 0.6m wide and if the units were along 3.5m of wall in the kitchen, this would be 0.6m x 3.5m = 2.1m2. You should take this amount and subtract it from your total kitchen floor area.
- The total area which you need to cover is 12.25m2 – 2.1m2 = 10.15m2. As the underfloor heating mat comes in 10m2 , this would be sufficient for the installation.
If the underfloor heating mat size is not suitable, we have highly trained technicians who will be able to supply you with alternative solutions.
How to measure for an underfloor heating mat for your Bathroom
To establish the right size underfloor heating mat for your bathroom, take a look at the example below for a guide to measuring the space correctly.
- Measure the length and width of your bathroom. An example would be 3m long and 2.5m wide.
- Then multiply your measurements to get your total area. Following from the above example, 3.0 x 2.5 = 7.50m2
- To ensure the underfloor heating mat fits and that you are only going to heat the area you require, you will now need to remove the total area of any fixtures and bathroom units or other items which could potentially be on top of the underfloor heating mat. Continuing on from the example above, if you have a bath, the typical size of this would be 70cm wide and 170cm long. You will need to remove the square meterage if you don’t have a bath in yet. The square meterage of the bath area would be 70cm x 170cm = 1.19m2
- The total area which you need to cover is 7.50m2 – 1.19m2 = 6.31m2. As the underfloor heating mat comes in 6m2, this would be sufficient for the installation.
What if the underfloor heating mats available don't suit my requirements?
As the underfloor heating mats cannot be cut to size, the easy install system may not suitable for you. If this is the case then please get in touch with Heat Matters to speak with one of our highly qualified Raychem trained technicians and they will be able to assist you with any question or query.
So if you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact them on 01784 279005